ARC - The Addict by Michael Stein

This is a book that I won on Library Things Early Reviewers. Below is my review of the book. I don't think I write the best reviews. I just write how I honestly feel about the books that I read.



When I read the little blurb about this book I figured it was about one patient and everything that that patient went through for that whole year. As I read the book I started to realize that the author is talking about one kind of patient and not just one person.

Michael introduces us to Lucy, who is the main patient he talks about in the book. The kind of patient he is also talking about in the book is the patient that is an Opiate addict. The author mentions other addicts who are either addicted to OxyContin, Heroin or Lucy's drug of choice Vicodin.

It took me awhile to get into the book mainly because of the author being in a session with Lucy and then he would start to write about another addict he was seeing, facts about addiction in general or just some questions he wanted to ask but didn't.

Overall the book was great and I highly enjoyed it. I was interested in seeing how Lucy would handle the affects of going through withdrawal from Vicodin. This isn't your typical book about a drug addict going into detox. This is a story about a young lady wanting to have a normal life without drugs. The Doctor has a program for addicts. It is not open to just anyone. He chooses those that he feels will benefit from his program. It is a slow process and not something that can happen over a few days, weeks or even months, especially when the addict has been using for about 15 years.

I give this book 3 1/2 stars out of 5

Comments

Liviania said…
This sounds like it could be interesting.

And all a good review need is how you felt about the book.
Unknown said…
I recently read Stein's latest book. Absolutely marvelous. Best book I've read in quite some time. I would advise all readers to pick up a copy of this book. 5/5 stars.

Popular posts from this blog

Here's to you Rachel Robinson by Judy Blume

Review-Stonger After Stroke

Review - Paper Towns by John Green