Review - The Secret Garden

Now many may be surprised to learn that I never read this book as a child.  I have heard of it but wan never one to read books just because everyone said they were good or that I should read them.  I could be very defiant when it came to reading.

I am glad that I did finally read this book.  I have seen parts of the movie but never from the beginning.  This is a very nice story of a girl, two boys and a secret garden.  The names of the children are Mary, Dickon and Colon.

Mary is quite contrary is what children from India called her when she lived there with her parents.  When her parents and everyone she knew had died she was sent to live with her uncle.  At first she was not happy to be in England.  She is very thin and looks ill but once she starts venturing outside and getting exercise and fresh air everyone notices how she grows and changes.

She meets Dickon and those two start taking care of the Secret Garden.  One night Mary hears some one crying  and is determined to find out who it is.  She finds a boy in his room crying.  This is her cousin Colon that she did not know existed.  The bonds that are formed between all three children is quite remarkable and believable.

4 stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's to you Rachel Robinson by Judy Blume

Review-Stonger After Stroke

Review - Paper Towns by John Green