The Buddha in the Attic Review

This was a book club book.  Some of the books from my library book club are books I would never think of picking up to read on my own, and this was one of them.

I didn't love nor hate this book.  The reason I didn't love or hate this book is because it didn't have a story.  This had many stories of the picture brides and what happened to them when they came to the west coast.  

To see how they were treated not only by their husbands but also their employers, and people they met here.  To think that we as a society treated and some still do treat people of different cultures so cruelly and with such disrespect for their well being.  I like to think that we as a society have improved and aren't living in the 'dark ages'.

I am now interested in reading Julie's first book to see if I enjoy that one more since it has a story of just one family.

Most everyone in the book club had the same feeling about the book.  We all felt that we learned something from the book.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's to you Rachel Robinson by Judy Blume

Review-Stonger After Stroke

Review - Paper Towns by John Green