American Wife ~ Review

American Wife is a book I don't feel I would have read on my own. This book was chosen for my Library Book Club. I was quite pleased with the story. American Wife chronicles the life of a girl, Alice Lindgren, whom has become the First Lady. American Wife is written in 4 parts, each part represents where she was living at that time. The story takes place from the 1950's to about 2007.

The first part is her young childhood through about her college years. She goes through a lot during her young life. She discovers her grandmother is a lesbian, she has an abortion and is involved in an accident that kills the boy she has feelings for at this time. The story starts with Alice and her grandmother running into a child from her class and her grandmother thinks the child is a girl when actually the child is a boy. The boy's name is Andrew Imhof. When Alice travels to Chicago with her grandmother is when I really felt the story had drawn me in. I wanted to know what was going to happen next from that moment on.

The next parts are defining moments in Alice's life. She is a librarian at an elementary school and loves to read. It was wonderful to see so many books mentioned throughout this novel. You are introduced to the men that she dates and ultimately her husband. I loved how their romance blossomed in a very short time and they knew how much they loved each other.

4 1/2 stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's to you Rachel Robinson by Judy Blume

Review-Stonger After Stroke

Review - Paper Towns by John Green