Genoa Bay by Bette Nordberg ~ Review

Another book from the ER program at Library Thing.

When I won this book I was delighted and excited about reading the book. I liked and disliked the book. The writing was great and interesting. The story is about a widow, Brandy Beauchamp, who inherits a bed and breakfast in Canada from a woman who took her in as a teenager after she had runaway from home.

The characters you meet in the book are Brandy, her daughter Gabby (just adorable), Eve (Brandy's friend from Florida), Cliff, and Herbert Karras. Brandy's 'adoptive' mother, Maggie, dies and leaves Brandy the old Bed and Breakfast. Brandy receives this inheritance at a time when she is trying to figure where she really belongs since her husbands death. Gabby is a lovable little girl of 7. Gabby is what keeps Brandy going and also questioning everything she does. Brandy decides to try and resurrect the Bed and Breakfast again after much debating in her head. She is afraid of the money she doesn't have to fix the place up. She worries about her daughter not liking the place at first. Brandy also doesn't enjoy feeling needy which makes her stubborn when offered help from the Marina Manager, Cliff.

I found most of the story predictable and boring. The reason the story was boring is when Brandy would always mention god and over analyze everything. I usually don't mind God being mentioned in a story in subtle terms. With Genoa Bay at times I felt that I was being preached to about God, which was a turn off. I then decided to just read the book without thinking about the God references, which made the story more enjoyable.

Towards the end of the book, at about Chapter 20 the story became interesting and I had difficulty putting the book down. I found myself wanting Brandy to win against all the trouble and misfortune that came her way. I felt that Brandy was a fighter but also very vulnerable and unsure of herself. I can not say that this book is a book that I will highly recommend to people. I will say to give it a try and form your own opinions about Genoa Bay.

2 1/2 starsflag abuse

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's to you Rachel Robinson by Judy Blume

Review-Stonger After Stroke

Review - Paper Towns by John Green